Melbourne and Surrounds National Events
Important Australian or Globally Famous events that occur around Melbourne and Surrounds Victoria and you are invited.
As one of the most vibrant and diverse regions in Australia, Melbourne and its surrounds is home to a wide range of annual events that locals and visitors alike can enjoy. From music festivals to sporting events and cultural celebrations, there's always something exciting happening around the city and its neighboring towns. Below are some of the nationally and globally recognized annual events that people can observe in and around Melbourne and the entire region of Victoria.
1. Australian Open Tennis Tournament: One of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments, the Australian Open is held every January in Melbourne. Tennis fans from all over the world come to witness some of the biggest names in the sport compete for the prestigious title. The tournament also has a lively atmosphere with food stalls, live music performances and free family-friendly activities.
2. Melbourne Cup: Dubbed as the "race that stops the nation," the Melbourne Cup is an annual horse racing event that takes place on the first Tuesday of November at Flemington Racecourse. It's a public holiday in Melbourne, and many people dress up in their finest attire and attend parties and events to celebrate the day.
3. Moomba Festival: Held each year over the Labor Day long weekend in March, Moomba is the largest free community festival in Australia. The event features a range of activities, including live music performances, rides, watersports, parades, fireworks, and food trucks, among others. It takes place along the Yarra River and attracts thousands of people each year.
4. White Night Melbourne: Inspired by an international nighttime event series, White Night Melbourne is a free event that transforms the city into a vibrant outdoor gallery of light, art, and performance. Held over one night in August, the event features interactive installations, projections, live music, and dance performances that run until the early hours of the morning.
5. Melbourne International Comedy Festival: One of the largest comedy festivals in the world, the Melbourne International Comedy Festival is a month-long event that takes place in March and April each year. The festival attracts some of the biggest comedy names from Australia and around the world, and there are shows on every night of the week, ranging from stand-up to sketch comedy.
6. St Kilda Festival: Held on the Sunday closest to February 2, the St Kilda Festival is a free music and arts festival that takes place in the beachside suburb of St Kilda. The festival features a range of live music performances on multiple stages, along with street performers, food trucks, and arts and crafts stalls.
7. Melbourne Food and Wine Festival: The Melbourne Food and Wine Festival is a two-week-long event held in March that celebrates the city's food and wine culture. The event features a range of food and wine tastings, masterclasses, workshops, and events, including the popular World's Longest Lunch that sees diners enjoy a three-course meal at a single long table.
8. Royal Melbourne Show: The Royal Melbourne Show is an annual agricultural show that takes place at the Melbourne Showgrounds in September. The event features livestock competitions, showbags, carnival rides, dog shows, and numerous other attractions. It's a family-friendly event and a great opportunity to learn more about farming and agriculture.
9. Melbourne Writers Festival: Held over ten days in August and September, the Melbourne Writers Festival is an annual event that celebrates writers, writing and ideas. The festival features over 150 writers, thinkers, and performers from around the world, who come together to engage in debates, discussions, readings, and workshops.
10. Melbourne International Film Festival: As Australia's oldest and largest film festival, the Melbourne International Film Festival is a major cultural event that showcases some of the best international and Australian cinema. The festival features over 300 films, along with Q&A sessions and panel discussions with filmmakers and industry experts.
In summary, Melbourne and its surrounds offer a wide range of nationally and globally recognized events throughout the year. From sports events and cultural festivals to food and wine celebrations and music festivals, there's always something fun and exciting happening in the region. These events attract visitors from all over the world, and they're a great way for locals to experience the diversity and vibrancy of their city. So, if you're planning a trip to Melbourne or live in the area, be sure to check out some of these annual events and join the festivities!